classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Mike K7PI Mike K7PI
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Loss of COM port by 8410

Hi All,

Twice now, after operating the 8410 for several hours with Monitor on and functioning properly, suddenly the 8410 no longer recognizes the COM port (COM8 in my case).  That is, I cannot connect to the 8410 with any application with any COM port.  The computer no longer sees the 8410.  I have to power down the 8410 and remove power to the mains and reboot the 8410 by returning power to the mains.  Then it will function again normally.  Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior.  The problem appears to be with the 8410.

Thanks

73 de Mike
K7PI
Dan AE9K Dan AE9K
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Loss of COM port by 8410

Mike,

Yes, I had similar symptoms.  Not only would the COM port disappear but my PC would occasionally report "USB Device Not Recognized" in the task tray.  My issue seemed to correlate more to how long I left the 8410 off or unplugged than anything I did with the PC.  I suspected a thermal issue with the FT232R chip that drives the USB port because the issue was intermittent and when the COM port as missing I couldn't get the FTDI chip programmer to see the FT232R either.  RFC gave me the option of sending in the board or replacing the chip myself.  I opted to do it myself.  Beware, it's SMT and tiny.

Dan
AE9K